18 june 2011 - Guest Blogger Again!

Hello The Cat,

I noticed that the Saturday concert hasn't had a blog so will write a brief one as I do like briefs.

Preston Garden Party Concert

'I'm with the Choir' I said proudly, as I got into the Rectory gardens without paying. The lovely lady who was in charge of security smiled at me. It was a smile of knowing adoration. Indeed, the look on her excited face clearly showed that she had experienced one of her main aims in life, to have a brief acknowledgment from one of Weymouth's largest musicians.

Once inside the grounds, I walked around each stall, teasing the holders with my 50p. Yes, someone was going to take this life-changing amount from me, almost like a non-secret millionaire, I held the coin tightly, aware that at any moment Lady-in-charge-of-security may be called if a scuffle occurred. Eventually, the tombola got my investment, and my goodness, what an invenstment! Three ladies handerchiefs, some handwash, some more handwash, two gottles of geer, a Maeve Binchy audio CD and some sweeties. Yes, it is obvious that I spent a lot more than 50p on this stall, but that's me, generous and handsome all in one.

After indulging in a lovely cup of Pimms, I staggered (half-jokingly) into the limelight, and the crowd fell silent. In front of me were 60 odd people, some more odd than others. The concert began. Then stopped, while we adjusted the sound levels. Then started again, this time with less gain on the microphones as the wind was playing havoc with them. 'I Can't Help Falling in Love with You' sang the Choir and the audience warmed, as the breezes blew. If you closed your eyes, it was just like a group of singers singing in a garden. If you opened your eyes, it was just the same sort of thing, only in colour.

We then sang 'Keeping' (showbiz people always shorten names of songs so they sound cool), which sounded splendid, followed by 'What' which made my hairy back tingle (hold that image), then 'Rose' (in the correct key rather than the crazy one we did in rehearsals), 'Build' was next which was a lovely mix of great singing with appaulingly uncoordinated dance moves. Finally, 'Sloop', which came together rather well. The crowd were not happy. Not happy that we had finished and we were quite literally forced to perform another. Plucked out of the hat, we nailed 'I' and He saw that it was good.

So, another show, another shed load of pleasure given to the 1000 strong audience(*).

* actual figures may vary

Thank you DFS, you are comfortable and easy to recline upon, and I love you all.

Ed x


Photo by Linda Marshall.

No comments:

Post a Comment